baking breakfast

banana coffee muffins with cacao nibs and oatmeal

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sometimes, if I close my eyes very tight, I can recall a short period of my life where Saturday mornings were a leisurely affair. There was no alarm that sounded: not from bedside clock, or dated cellphone, or upstairs crib. I would dreamily drift into the morning, allowing myself to wake up in my own.good.time. Aimlessly I would reach for my nightstand, grabbing the book I had left open the night before, and would proceed to lose myself in someone else’s adventure, pausing only to steal sleepy kisses with my Adam.

The morning hours would then slip by and we would talk of breakfast, and coffee. Wandering down the street to a crowded cafe, we would indulge in something to fill our hungry bellies, something as simple and sweet as a muffin to take us to the afternoon. There, nestled together near a window, our respite seemed to stretch on for hours; our day seemed to be made just for young lovers to squander away.

But now it is getting late, and I must close this book of faded memories. My eyes will open tomorrow before the sun rises high; I will awaken to little voices that run from sleep and warm cozy covers, that resist hours spent quietly engaged. You will find me, then, shuffling to the kitchen with eyes half shut, quickly gulping leftover coffee and stumbling to the counter for this little treat, a simple muffin, to take me to the afternoon.

Banana Coffee Muffins with Cacao Nibs and Oatmeal
This recipe is adapted from the Blue Heron Coffeehouse. I have used both canola oil and olive oil in the recipe – and liked both. Olive oil will have a more distinct taste. Light brown sugar can be substituted for the dark. I have also made these without banana – but really preferred the flavor and texture that they brought to the muffin.

2 cups flour
1/2 cup rolled or quick oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strong coffee, cold
3/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 bananas, diced small
1/2 cup cacao nibs
sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins.

Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg [if using] in a large bowl. Whisk together, and make a well in the center. Combine buttermilk, coffee, oil, vanilla, sugar and eggs. Whisk wet ingredients together and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients together until almost mixed. Add bananas and cacao nibs, and finish mixing until just combined, being careful not to over mix.

Scoop batter into prepared pans, filling the muffin cup to the top. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake until muffin edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out with the tiniest bit of crumb, 16-20 minutes.

london bakes
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 10:30 am

Not to make you too jealous but I’ve had just such a leisurely Saturday morning today 😉 What wonderful muffins though, I love the addition of cocoa nibs and that oatmeal that makes me feel like I’m eating something just that bit healthier than a normal muffin.

vanilla bean blog
      Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 4:37 am

I was trying to make them a ‘little’ healthy. So I didn’t feel guilty eating them, ha. And I’m very jealous. But happy for you. 🙂

Sacha
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I was just thinking about the banana-coffee combination when I saw a banana layer cake with coffee buttercream the other day. I think I would like these muffins even more, especially with the crunch of the cocoa nibs!

vanilla bean blog
      Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 4:39 am

Thanks Sacha! I really like banana and coffee together. I might have to experiment some more with it.

my little celebration
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

OH my word. I WILL be trying these! They’re too beautiful not to! Your photos are lovely as always. You’re just a gem.

vanilla bean blog
      Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 4:40 am

You are so kind. And thank you, friend. I hope you like them.

thelittleloaf
    Monday, February 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love those lazy Saturday mornings…and am lucky enough to still have them fairly often! I’m sure it will all change when we decide to have children 🙂 These muffins look beautiful and I love the crunch of cacao nibs – so dark and delicious and the perfect contrast to the sweet banana.

Anonymous
    Monday, February 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm

You can still steal those sleepy kisses…

Ladies Holiday
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 2:12 am

mmm…the picture you painted is a beautiful (if not wistful) accompaniment to such sweet little muffins.

Kimber
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Wow, these looks so sweet and hearty – a perfect breakfast if I do say so. I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog – it’s amazing and delicious!

Barbara
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I’m new to your blog. I made these just as directed and I was skeptical because the batter is a little thinner than usual muffin batter but they are amazing. So good with coffee, a latte actually, and not overly sweet like most bakery muffins. A great recipe. Thanks!

vanilla bean blog
      Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 3:37 am

Barbara! This comment made my day. Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know you liked them. Have a lovely day!

Genive
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 2:38 am

These are in the oven, the batter itself tastes just so delicious! I can’t wait 16 minutes!

Anonymous
    Monday, June 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

These are just amazing!! This recipe was just what I was looking for. I just bought cacao nibs to try and didn’t much care for the flavour by themselves. But they taste great in this recipe. I added in walnuts and fresh raspberries to this too and the flavour was fantastic! Thanks for a great recipe 🙂

BeeBee
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 5:01 am

I’ve just made the muffins and they are delicious, and something just a little different and special in the crowded muffin universe. Also love that I can make your recipe when I’m on the other side of the world – thanks for sharing and for your fabulous blog 🙂

mividaenundulce
    Monday, January 7, 2013 at 10:49 pm

My brother gave to me a bottle of cacao nibs and I started thing what I suppose to do with that? Then, I start searching and saw your proposal, what can I tell, this is a perfect recipe. I used nutmeg because I found it comes perfect with coffee, and it came with a perfect touch.
    What I like so much is that the muffins are not too sweet, so it can be eaten with a cup of tea or coffee. Also very moist and soft.
    If you don’t mind I want to share it.

Anonymous
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

Love these! I used whole meal flour and added some chia seeds to make a tad healthier, also swapped the olive oil for coconut oil. Thanks for the great recipe!

Marlee
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I’m allergic to cacao…any substitues in mind?

Sarah
      Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Are you allergic to nuts? Pecans or walnuts chopped small would work here, too, and also give a nice crunch. 🙂

Cacao Nibs & Recipes | FitKeri.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:52 am

[…] Banana Coffee Muffins with Cacao Nibs and Oatmeal […]

Heather (Delicious Not Gorgeous)
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I made these today- subbed cinnamon for nutmeg, chocolate chips for cacao nibs- and they were so yummy and moist! I thought the banana chunks and coffee might not work out, but they definitely did. One of my new favorite banana muffin recipes for sure.

Diana Abreu
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 7:28 am

Hey there! I tried your recipe last night! Follow the quantities as described.
    Its important to say im from Brazil! Maybe our banana is smaller than yours – more bananas in the recipe would be nice!
    Matbe our coffee is stronger, so i believe the taste was a little to coffee-ee and the sugar could be doubled! As the nibs arent sweet either!

I hope my experience can help others! 😀

Thanks!
    Diana

Banana Bread with Cacao Nibs | The Desserted Girl
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 11:01 am

[…] recipe is adapted from The Vanilla Bean Blog which uses regular flour but seeing as how there were all kinds of moist-makers in here, I took a […]

Gayatri
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 11:02 am

I loved this recipe! Baked it as a cake with wholewheat flour and it was just incredible. Super moist! Thanks so much 🙂

Banana Bread with Cacao Nibs
    Friday, March 4, 2016 at 5:46 am

Tamara
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Should these be refrigerated??

Banana-Chocolate-Coffee Muffins - Delicious Not Gorgeous
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 11:47 pm

[…] Banana-Chocolate-Coffee Muffins adapted slightly from The Vanilla Bean Blog […]

Lydia
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 12:51 am

Do you think you can subsitute coconut flour? and just add an extra egg? has anyone tried this? and ill be subbing coconut oil for the olive oil which i saw another did yay cant wait to make these thanks!

Sarah
      Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Hi Lydia – I have never tried coconut flour here, so I’m honestly not sure how it will do. If you try it, please let me know how it goes! -Sarah

loretta
    Monday, August 22, 2016 at 10:55 pm

can i substitute the coffee with something else? perhaps milk?

Sarah
      Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 9:11 am

Hi Loretta – Yes, use 1 1/4 cup buttermilk total and omit the coffee. Let me know how they turn out for you!

Katie
    Friday, December 16, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I want to say that I made these vegan and they turned out great–moist and well risen and true to a muffin that I would know!
    I replaced the egg with a flax egg (1 T flax, 2.5 T water); the buttermilk with 3/4 c. almond milk + 1 t. apple cider vinegar. (though I think soy would work better, but only had almond on hand)
    I also think it would taste good to replace 1/4 -1/2 c. of flour with almond meal for texture, but I didn’t think of it until afterwards.
    Anyways just wanted to let you know they work as a vegan muffin as well with simple replacements!