A brown sugar version of sugar cookies, with a touch of molasses. These cookies are rich in flavor, with crispy edges and an almost fudgy center. When they bake, they rise; when they cool, they fall, giving them a beautiful crackly surface. So simple, so good!
A teaspoon of molasses increases the dark brown sugar flavor without making it taste like holiday fare (but, to be sure, these are a great addition to your holiday cookie tray). Rolling them in a bit of sugar gives them a beautiful sparkle, but even more important: another interesting texture.
These cookies debuted in my 100 Cookies cookbook, and have been a reader favorite!
A few tips for making Brown Sugar Cookies:
- Don’t skip the egg yolk! It helps make the center fudgy and rich.
- The cookies will puff in the oven and then collapse as they cool, forming cracks across the top.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for the time called for — this helps them set and will ensure the perfect texture upon first bite.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Neapolitan Cookies
- Pan-Banging Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Toasted Sesame Cookies with Bittersweet Chocolate
Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon [364 g] all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup [2 sticks | 227 g] unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup [350 g] dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup [100 g] granulated sugar for rolling
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F [180C]. Line three sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and the molasses and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Place the granulated sugar in a medium bowl.
- Form the cookies into 1 1/2 oz [45 g] balls (2 tablespoons). Roll each ball in the sugar and place 8 cookies on a sheet pan.
- Bake one pan at a time, rotating halfway through baking. Bake until the sides are set and the bottoms are light golden brown, 10 to 11 minutes.
- Transfer the sheet pan to a wire rack and let the cookies cool for 5 to 10 minutes on the pan, then remove them and let them cool completely on the wire rack. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.