baking

pan-banging ginger molasses cookies

Saturday, December 9, 2017

If you follow along on Instagram, you know I’ve been working on a ginger-molasses version of my pan-banging cookies. I finally have the recipe for you, although I’m going to be completely honest – I’m so nervous to share it! I’m terrified you won’t love them as much as the chocolate chip version, so I’ve been obsessively  making them trying to get everything just right. I also know that most everyone has a strong opinion on how they want their molasses cookie to be (soft! hard! chewy! dense! coated in sugar! no sugar! fresh ginger! just ground spices!) and this cookie will not appeal to everyone. I did make my dear friend Zoë test them out and she gave them her approval, so I’m going to go ahead and put the recipe out into the world.

Some good news: this particular version doesn’t need to be refrigerated. The molasses and butter in this cookie helps them to spread just fine without the added chill. I also make these a little bit smaller – 2 ounces, instead of 3 ounces. A few things to note: these taste best when the centers are under baked, just like the chocolate chip cookies. Because they are smaller, I bang the pan only 3-4 times instead of 5-6. If you do cook the centers, the outside will be slightly tough when they cool, and they don’t taste as good on the second day. If you get things just right, the outside will be crispy, the centers soft and slightly chewy, and they will still taste great the next day. If you try them, let me know how they turn out for you!

Pan-Banging Ginger Molasses Cookies

NOTES : These cookies are a little different than the chocolate chip cookies – you don’t have to chill them, and they require a little less banging. You really don’t want to overcook the centers here – the cookie edges will get a little too tough. Just like the chocolate chip cookies, the center needs to be under baked (if you look at the photo, there is quite a bit of un-banged surface area). The cookies will still cook on the pan after you take them out of the oven, so the centers won’t be raw, but if you are looking for a completely crispy cookie, this isn’t it. The edges will be crispy, and the centers a little chewy and very soft.

Make sure your cookie batter is completely combined – molasses likes to hang out on the sides of the bowl and streak in the dough, so use a spatula at the end and make sure the batter is uniform.

You don’t have to roll them in sugar, but I prefer them that way.

You can play around with the spices if you want. I only like the teensiest bit of cloves, but you could add a bit more if you like.

These cookies are rather large, but to get the edges to spread out and crinkle, they need to be on the big side. If you want to make the cookies smaller, you won’t get as many ridges on the outer layer, and your center won’t be quite as gooey. They will still be delicious, but not quite what I intended for you.

There is a minimal amount of molasses in these cookies, but adding more makes them really chewy and a little tough.

I think they keep best in the fridge, but I like to eat them at room temperature. MAKES 10 COOKIES

1 3/4 cup (249g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch cloves
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup (297g) granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
2 tablespoons mild molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter on medium until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla, and mix on low to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer, and using a spatula, make sure the molasses is completely combined into the dough and that the dough is a uniform color.

Form the dough into 2-ounce balls (I use this cookie scoop). Roll the balls in granulated sugar to coat. Place 4 balls an equal distance apart on a prepared pan.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 8 minutes, until the cookies are puffed slightly in the center. Lift the side of the baking sheet up about 4 inches and gently let it drop down against the oven rack, so the edges of the cookies set and the inside falls back down (this will feel wrong, but trust me). After the cookies puff up again in about 2 minutes, repeat lifting and dropping the pan. Repeat 3-4 more times to create ridges around the edge of the cookie. Bake 13 to 16 minutes total, until the cookies have spread out and the edges are golden brown but the centers are much lighter and not fully cooked.

Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack; let cool completely before removing the cookies from the pan.

fatimah
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:55 am

amazing!! i actually made a ginger cookie and tried it with your pan banging technique i didn’t get ripples like these but now i can try yours, yay! x

Kelsey @ Appeasing a Food Geek
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 10:21 am

YES! It’s finally here! On the baking list to be made ASAP. 🙂

Sara @ Cake Over Steak
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Very excited! These sound like perfection.

Lianna
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I made these exactly as written – they are amazing!

Sarah
      Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Oh, thanks so much for letting me know!! I’m so glad you like them.

Jessica G
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Loved the cookies! So perfectly chewy although I couldn’t get the ripples all that much. Do you use a heavy or light tray? Or do you have any tips on how to ensure the ripples? Thanks for a great recipe!!

Mallory
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I have emailed this recipe to several friends already and can’t wait to bake them this weekend. Merry Christmas!

Shannon Loveless
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 11:49 am

Love your recipes, your book and how you have made your start in the baking world. Super inspiring. Thank you!

Jessica
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 2:17 pm

These look amazing! I would love to make them for my whole family as a holiday sweet, but I have family members with egg allergies. I know there are a lot of egg substitutions that can be used in baked goods like apple sauce of flax-egg, but do you have an egg substitution that you would recommend for this recipe in particular?

gfy
      Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I’ve been using aquafaba, the liquid from a can of chickpeas with perfect success. Vast improvement over the flax egg…Use a shy 1/4 cup of liquid for each egg. Works amazingly well.

Brian @ A Thought For Food
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Oh my goodness, I have to make these ASAP!

Diane
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 12:42 am

These look SO GOOD and totally something I would make! Pinning and trying soon, thanks Tonia!

Grace
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 6:22 am

Genius recipe again! Made these tonight and they were amazing – crispy edges, chewy centres, wrinkled surfaces and ridiculously tasty.

This’ll be my go-to recipe this Christmas I think, thank you Sarah!

Karthiga Emmanual
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 1:46 pm

How many does this recipe make? I really want to make it for a Christmas party 🙂

Currently Crushing On. - How Sweet Eats
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 6:01 am

[…] reeeeally want to try these ginger molasses cookies! […]

Currently Crushing On. – Fruitide
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 6:10 am

[…] reeeeally want to try these ginger molasses cookies! […]

Melissa
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 2:09 pm

I made these last night and they are SO, SO good! I’ve been on a big ginger/molasses kick lately, and these are at the top of my list of favorites!

Amanda
    Friday, December 22, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I have made four batches of your pan-banged chocolate chip cookies since I found out about them about a month ago, so I was so excited to try the ginger molasses. LOVE THEM! I couldn’t get as many ripples, but they still taste amazing! Perfect for Chiristmas!!

Sam in St Paul
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 11:25 am

Can these be made with rice flour (gluten-free)?

Our Top 5 Last-Minute Holiday Baking Recipes - Wit & Delight
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

[…] 1. Pan-Banging Ginger Molasses Cookies […]

Elisa
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Hi, do you have any recommendations for the measurement of substituting for whole wheat flour?

amberette
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Made a vegan version of these last night with aquafaba ‘egg’, vegan butter and coconut sugar. I left them plain instead of rolling in sugar. The wrinkles wouldn’t form but I did get virtually perfect Swedish ginger wafers – SO thin and delicious flavor so, Thanks! Will definitely be making again and may try with black cocoa powder to see if I can get the chocolate wafers for wafer cake, cause these would be perfect for that!

yolanda
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:21 pm

I didn’t have molasses so used date syrup instead. so yummy

Katherine Ostrich
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm

These are wonderful, thank you! Went down a treat at work

My Weekend Money Diary #5: The Bomb Cyclone Edition | THE LUXE STRATEGIST
    Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm

[…] good! My best batch yet. They’re thin and buttery, almost like those Tate’s cookies. I used this recipe from The Vanilla Bean […]