dessert ice cream

no-churn rhubarb ice cream

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog
It’s quiet here in this house; words are flitting past me in the silence and I can’t quite catch them. I’m actually eating this rhubarb ice cream while I sit here, trying to write of it’s glory: to capture tart! and sweet! and creamy! with eloquence and creativity. But this sly dessert wants all my attention; we’ve locked eyes now, and it doesn’t care about adjectives. So I’ll leave you with this poem I stumbled upon tonight, hoping it will make up for my feeble attempt at posting.

Rhubarb

no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog
no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog
no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog
no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog

no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog

no-churn rhubarb ice cream
adapted from not without salt
This ice cream is one of my [new] favorites. It’s perfectly sweet-tart and creamy. I’ve also included a recipe for oatmeal streusel, if you’d like to recall to mind a summer rhubarb crisp.  My favorite way to eat this is frozen about 4 hours, when it’s still a bit soft.

2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
Pinch of salt
3 cups rhubarb chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups cold heavy cream

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and salt, and then add the rhubarb, cooking 1-2 minutes without stirring.  Add the pod and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb is soft, 15-20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Break up the rhubarb with a wooden spoon, and set aside to cool. Once cool, remove the vanilla bean pod.

In a medium bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk and cooled rhubarb mixture. In a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold one third of the whipped cream into the rhubarb-condensed milk mixture until completely combined. Gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream until combined. Pour into a regular sized loaf pan, and freeze until firm, 6 hours (or, covered, up to 1 week).

oatmeal streusel

1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons melted butter

Combine flour, sugars, oats, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and combine until pea-sized pieces start to form. Spread the oat mixture on a baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes at 350, until streusel is light golden brown. Top the ice cream with even amounts of cooled streusel.
no-churn rhubarb ice cream | the vanilla bean blog

Kris @ Munchin with Munchkin
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 3:03 am

This looks incredible Sarah! Apparently it was more than just a taco night for you! Wish I had a bowl of this ice cream right now.

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:00 am

Thank you Kris! We did have some of this after tacos. 😉

london bakes
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 9:14 am

What an apt poem, just beautiful along side this ice cream. Although I don’t have an ice cream maker, I love making ice cream at home. The flavours just seem so wonderful and fresh.

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:01 am

Thank you Kathryn. I always appreciate your encouragement and kind comments.

thelittleloaf
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm

There’s nothing better than sitting down to write a blog post while tasting the food in question – immediate inspiration! I wish I was sitting at my laptop now with a bowl of this gorgeous ice cream instead of at my desk at work! The streusel topping looks lovely too – like a summery rhubarb crumble 🙂

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:01 am

I agree – it helps to eat while one writes. I’d bring you some if I could.

my little celebration
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I think I’m in love.

Kasey
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 1:02 am

Rhubarb doesn’t get enough love! If I had this bowl of ice cream in front of me, I’d be pretty quiet, too. And that’s totally ok.

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:02 am

sometimes blog posts are impossible. I find the food can speak for itself. 🙂

tothet2
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 2:09 am

Hi there, thanks for the post! I’m always on the lookout for ice cream recipes with no machine required. Plus, I like they way you styled your last photo with the spoon and brown streusel scattered across the white table.

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thank you! I have an ice cream maker, but barely use it any more now that I discovered this no-churn recipe.

Em (Wine and Butter)
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I also love ice cream that is still slightly soft. Yay for rhubarb season!

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

It’s the best that way! And yes, rhubarb season is the best.

Jennifer (Delicieux)
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

What a gorgeous poem to go with your beautiful dreamy ice cream. I don’t think I’ve ever tried rhubarb ice cream, in fact I wasn’t a rhubarb lover until a few years ago, but now I love it.

vanilla bean blog
      Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thank you Jennifer. And I’m glad I found you on Twitter today! Your blog is lovely.

Sacha
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I like to eat as I write, too. The poem is lovely. Rhubarb is almost too interesting to handle. I look forward to it every year and treat if very simply. I love that there is a little brown sugar in the ice cream, and that streusel sounds like the perfect topper!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 3:18 am

This sounds so lovely, especially with the oatmeal streusel!! We just enjoyed a bowl of vanilla ice cream with some strawberries and rhubarb syrup. Rhubarb dessert is hard to beat!

hermes bag outlet
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 3:44 am

wow. it’s really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it’s not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to Formal Dresses

visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

thelittleloaf
    Friday, May 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

Beautiful new photos Sarah 🙂

Emma Galloway
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 5:53 am

Yum! I love rhubarb anything 🙂

Nicole @InfiniteLittlePleasures
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:06 am

This sounds perfect for the summer! Thanks for the recipe 🙂 I featured it in my blogpost here: http://infinitelittlepleasures.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for.html

Chaya & Sara
    Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

this ice cream looks lovely and we can’t wait to make it in spring! just a question- do you know of any good substitutes for sweetened condensed milk? thank you!

Sarah
      Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 9:04 am

Hello! I don’t know of a good substitute offhand, sadly. The sweetened condensed milk adds both sweetness and more milk to the ice cream, which gives it its richness and consistency. Are you looking for a non-dairy alternative?

Honey-goat cheese ice cream with poached pear swirl. » Two Red Bowls
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 5:31 pm

[…] goat cheese ice cream because I’m addicted!)  Sarah has an entire array of no-churn recipes (rhubarb! olive oil and vanilla! bittersweet chocolate with fleur de sel!)  just waiting to be not-churned […]

Lisa
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 9:58 am

Where do you add the vanilla extract? It states it as an ingredient, but no where in the directions does it state adding it, that I see?

Sarah
      Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hi Lisa – sorry about that! I’ve added the extract into the directions.