cake

strawberry buttermilk cake

Sunday, June 26, 2011

I don’t make a lot of ‘everyday’ cakes. I find them charming, but I tend to avoid them. I’m not quite sure why, because the idea of tea and cake makes me swoon. It sounds so lovely – summer afternoons spread out on a picnic blanket somewhere, chatting and eating without a care in the world. But I’ve never had that luxury; alas, my afternoons are much more practical.

But it’s summer. And being practical isn’t always fun. I am romantic at heart, and an afternoon spent picnicking and snacking on this lovely cake would be delightful. It overflows with strawberries, buttermilk gives it a slight tang, and the crunchy sugar top is heavenly. Plus, it’s pretty simple to put together. It’s a great afternoon treat, but works well as an after dinner dessert, too. So go enjoy your day. Take along someone you love. Take along this cake. Eat, drink and be merry.

Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
adapted from the Smitten Kitchen

I used a deep dish 9-inch pie plate for this cake. A regular 9-inch pie plate will be too small for this cake – it will overflow. This cake would work, however, in a 9- or 10-inch springform or cake pan. The 10-inch would make a thinner cake than pictured. Whole milk can be substituted for the buttermilk.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.

Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.

Do ahead: Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, loosely covered.

Sally
    Monday, July 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

This cake looks so delicious! That’s why I decided to make it for our celebration today (well, plus, I had all of the ingredients!). I even used some of my vanilla sugar to sprinkle on top 🙂

cozyurbanhome.blogspot.com
    Friday, August 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I just made this! It just came out of the oven and it is beautiful! I can’t wait for my husband to come home so we can eat a wedge and drink iced coffee. I found you after you posted a comment on the Coffee Shop Northeast blog!

Sarah
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 2:19 am

cozyurbanhome – I’m so glad you tried it! And I’m glad you love the Coffee Shop NE. Such good coffee. 😉

Anonymous
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

This cake looks great and I want to make it for a reunion I have this weekend thanks gboyce5@bellsouth.net

Karen
    Monday, August 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Beautiful, delicious. Perfect for our anniversary dinner for two.
    Do you think other seasonal fruit might work as well?

Thank you for your lovely blog.

Sarah
      Monday, August 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Karen, I’m so glad you liked the cake! And yes, I’ve used other seasonal fruit with much success. Raspberries or mixed berries will work here, cherries are good, and I’ve even sliced a pear and used that (I have the recipe here: http://www.thevanillabeanblog.com/2012/12/an-everyday-pear-cake.html ) Let me know if you try anything else! And happy anniversary! 🙂

Karen
        Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

Thank you for your quick and kind response. My friend is going to try the recipe with peaches. We will let you know how it works out. But I do have a bag of cherries… Hmmmm.

Cake Bake | Floral Fragrance
    Monday, August 21, 2017 at 2:21 am

[…] week’s tea-time. This fruit cake was an instant hit. I followed all the tips and tricks from Vanilla Bean blog’s strawberry buttermilk cake – with minuscule variations like added much lesser […]

Rebeka Carr
    Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Would frozen strawberries be okay also?