chocolate dessert ice cream

no-churn bittersweet chocolate ice cream with fleur de sel

Thursday, June 30, 2011
After making the vanilla bourbon ice cream, I had to give the  chocolate a try. I am sold on this no-churn ice cream. It’s so so easy, and it is so creamy. Bittersweet chocolate makes this incredible, and on a whim I sprinkled some fleur de sel on top. My heart stopped on first bite.
I have been daydreaming of other flavor combinations, and am going to be experimenting this summer. Ice cream is always a favorite treat for my little ones, and a little bit goes a long way here – it’s so rich and dreamy. Good bye, Dairy Queen. I’ll stick with my homemade goodness.
no-churn bittersweet chocolate ice cream with fleur de sel
adapted from cooks countryIn place of the espresso powder and hot water I used 1 tablespoon coldpress. 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee would also work. If you are not crazy about the fleur de sel, this ice cream is great plain.

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder [see note]
1 tablespoon hot water
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
fleur de sel [for sprinkling]

Combine coffee powder and hot water in a small bowl. Let stand until coffee dissolves, about 5 minutes. Microwave chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and coffee mixture in a large bowl, stirring every 10 seconds, until chocolate is melted, about 1 minute. Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool.

With a standing mixer, whip cream on medium high until soft peaks form. Whisk one third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture until incorporated. Freeze in an airtight container until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks.

lisa heaner
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i am making this. or coming over. or both.

The Hungry Crafter
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This looks amazing! And I THINK I may just have all the ingredients at home…. Hmmm….

liciousfood
    Monday, July 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm

This I have to try! Amaze balls!

Jesikah Orman
    Friday, November 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

this recipe is amazing!! thank you for sharing!!

Annie
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Late to the game, but I made this last weekend for a friend’s wedding reception. Talk about incredible. The ice cream was smooth, velvety, and divinely rich without being so sweet. My husband thought it was really similar to gelato in texture and consistency. Everyone loved it and it was gone in a matter of minutes.

Honey-goat cheese ice cream with poached pear swirl. » Two Red Bowls
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

[…] addicted!)  Sarah has an entire array of no-churn recipes (rhubarb! olive oil and vanilla! bittersweet chocolate with fleur de sel!)  just waiting to be not-churned by […]

Ornella
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Wow this looks amazing! I’ve been looking for a no-churn ice cream recipe for ages! This one looks absolutely devine! I’m going to make this as soon as possible. Thank you for posting the recipe.