baking

pumpkin-scones

pumpkin scones

pumpkin scones

pumpkin scones

pumpkin scones

Pumpkin Scones
These scones are a family favorite, and might be what we wake up to this Christmas morning. “If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it.” —Lucy Larcom

NOTES: Putting another baking sheet nestled directly underneath the one the scones are on helps keep the bottoms of the scones from browning too quickly before they fully bake. If you like the bottoms extra crisp, you can just use one pan.

2 ¼ cups (320 g) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (66 g) sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks; 170 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into ½-inch pieces

Maple Icing
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup (113 g) confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch salt

Adjust an oven rack to the lower middle position. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Stack two baking sheets on top of each other and line the top sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

Add the butter to the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter to cut it into the mixture until the flour-coated pieces are the size of peas. Add the wet ingredients and fold with a spatula until just combined.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead until it comes together, 4 to 6 times, adding flour as necessary if the dough is sticky. Pat the dough gently into a small square and roll it into a 12-inch square (again, using flour as necessary). Fold the dough in thirds similar to a business letter. Fold the dough into thirds again, making a square. Transfer it to a floured sheet pan or plate and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Return the dough to the floured surface. Roll it into a 12-inch square and fold it business letter style. Place the dough seam side down and gently roll into a 12 by 4-inch rectangle. With a sharp knife (or bench scraper), cut the rectangle crosswise into 4 equal rectangles, then cut each rectangle diagonally into 2 triangles. Transfer the triangles to the prepared baking sheet.

Brush the tops with a little heavy cream, making sure it doesn’t drip down the sides. Bake 18 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the tops and bottoms are golden brown.

Transfer the sheet pan to a wire rack and let the scones cool slightly. Top with the Maple Frosting.

For the Maple Icing
In a small bowl, whisk the maple syrup, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth.

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    Friday, December 23, 2016 at 12:13 am

It’s such a beautiful picture. I can’t wait for Mia to be like it 🙂

Tori//Gringalicious.com
    Friday, December 23, 2016 at 7:21 am

So sweet! These scones sound wonderful!

Kari
    Friday, December 23, 2016 at 11:06 am

They did such a good job making those scones!
    Kari

amanda paa
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 9:17 am

i love seeing your children learning with you! and wow, they keep growing up so fast. such a cool initiative with Penguin! i’m going to check out those lists right now. xo

Abby | Lace & Lilacs
    Monday, December 26, 2016 at 5:49 pm

The loveliest photos and recipe. xoxo

Heather E.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 7:20 am

We are headed to the library today; it’s finally my turn to borrow your book! I found out about your book and blog through A Couple Cooks. I made the shortbread — perfection! I always borrow cookbooks before purchasing but I have a strong feeling I’ll be using my Christmas gift card to put your book permanently on my shelf! Thanks for the information on Brightly. We are avid readers and I subscribed.

Christa Sagmoe
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

The scones look absolutely delicious! Going to have to try them out. ~ Christa

mp3raid
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 12:36 am

Your style is unique in comparison to other people I’ve read stuff from.
    Many thanks for posting when you’ve goot the opportunity, Guess I will just
    bookmark this web site.

Erin
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:18 am

These look AMAZING! I’ve been searching for the “perfect” pumpkin scone recipe, and I know I just found it. I’m curious if you could make these ahead and freeze them (unbaked) once they’ve been shaped/cut? Then I could pop the already shaped/cut scone right in the oven (frozen)…or thaw overnight in the fridge to be ready for baking in the morning. Or just make them the day/night before and hold the shaped/cut dough in the fridge until morning? Thoughts on how either way might work with this recipe?