ice cream

no-churn olive oil ice cream with vanilla bean

Thursday, February 9, 2012
It’s the dead of winter, and I’m posting about ice cream. Again. In my defense, I’ve had sick little ones with sore throats and fevers, and sometimes ice cream just makes everything okay. For all of us.
I tried olive oil ice cream this summer, and was floored by how great it was. I decided to experiment with the no-churn recipe, because that’s how I roll now. I cannot express to you in words how much I love this ice cream. It’s creamy and sweet, with the distinct taste of olive oil, then the subtle gentleness of vanilla bean. I would say it’s a grown-up ice cream, but my kids gobbled it down and thought it was incredible, olive oil and all.

similar recipes you may enjoy
no-churn vanilla ice cream with bourbon
chocolate olive oil bundt cake with coffee and oats
olive oil cake with bittersweet chocolate and rosemary

No-churn olive oil ice cream with vanilla bean
Adapted from Everyday Food and inspired by the Creme Cafe. I think this ice cream would be a nice compliment to these pudding cakes.

1 can [14 ounces] sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1/2 cup good olive oil
2 cups cold heavy cream

In a medium bowl, stir together condensed milk, vanilla, vanilla bean, and olive oil. In a large bowl of a standing mixer, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold one-third of the whipped cream into condensed milk mixture, gently stirring until combined. Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream. Pour into a regular sized loaf pan, and freeze until firm, 6 hours [or, covered, up to 1 week].
    my little celebration
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm

i have a sore throat/head cold right now and this is all I want to eat now. sigh…

vanilla bean blog
      Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Sorry you are sick! I hope you feel better soon. xo

linsiloo
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

i absolutely adore your blog! thank you for another great recipe. love the font treatment on the title pic, & not to mention but your photography in general is hitting it out of the park (ok, ok… enough fangirling – hahaha!)

vanilla bean blog
      Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thank you, Ms. Lindsay! That means so much, coming from you. Your photos are off the hook.

Anonymous
    Friday, February 10, 2012 at 4:15 am

Great photography, lovely recipes for home made comfort food.
    L

Lauren Knight
    Friday, February 10, 2012 at 4:55 am

I think winter is the perfect time to post about ice cream! We probably eat/crave more of it in the winter months anyway. Thank you- this looks divine!

vanilla bean blog
      Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Lauren. I do tend to crave ice cream in the winter, but I just thought it was because I’m addicted to sugar. 🙂 Also, the mild winter we are having here is giving me spring fever, so I’ve been eating ‘warmer weather’ foods.

thelittleloaf
    Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I don’t think it’s ever too cold to eat ice cream! I love it all year round and you’re right, there’s something so comforting about the cool creaminess of it. I’ve come to rely on my ice cream maker but thinking maybe I’ll go back to the old school and try a no churn recipe – I’m intrigued by the olive oil addition.

vanilla bean blog
      Friday, February 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I really like this no-churn recipe – it’s so creamy and good. ‘Real’ ice cream is somewhat better, but I haven’t missed it much since I started making this. And I think you’ll really like the olive oil!

Sacha
    Friday, February 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’ve been obsessed with olive oil laced desserts lately. I have a recipe I’ve been using for olive oil ice cream, and I think I should definitely add in vanilla bean now! And I like your suggestion, because olive oil goes really well with chocolate.

vanilla bean blog
      Friday, February 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I have been using olive oil a lot, too. It’s just so good in baked goods! And with chocolate! 🙂

Ladies Holiday
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 2:05 am

Bold and cold, I like it!

The Vanilla Bean Blog | mini coconut cupcakes with cardamom-goat cheese frosting
    Monday, March 18, 2013 at 1:17 am

[…] each and every post this weekend, I remembered recipes I  had totally forgotten about, like olive oil ice cream, and creamy carrot orange soup, and beet cake with chocolate, and peach-sausage […]

olive oil ice cream with vanilla bean | ????? ??? ????????? ??? ???????????
    Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:11 am

[…] The Vanilla Bean Blog | no-churn olive oil ice cream with vanilla bean. […]

Jenny
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

Just discovering this now, perfect for summer weather that has finally arrived in Maine (along with a sore throat for me too). . .I’m wondering if you think this would work without a standing mixer. . . maybe a food processor to “whip” the cream or the old fashioned by hand way? I guess it’s worth a try. . . although a standing mixer is on my wish list 🙂
    Gorgeous design here, I totally have a blog crush.

Sarah
      Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hi Jenny! I’m not sure about a food processor, but a hand-held electric mixer would work, or the old fashioned way. 🙂 Let me know if you try it! And thanks so much for the kind words.

Honey-goat cheese ice cream with poached pear swirl. » Two Red Bowls
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 7:55 pm

[…] ice cream because I’m addicted!)  Sarah has an entire array of no-churn recipes (rhubarb! olive oil and vanilla! bittersweet chocolate with fleur de sel!)  just waiting to be not-churned by […]

Heavenly Vanilla - Maximized Mama | Maximized Mama
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 5:07 pm

[…] No Churn Olive Oil Ice Cream with Vanilla Bean courtesy of The Vanilla Bean Blog.  I am thinking you can substitute the sweetened condensed milk with full fat coconut milk? […]