baking

pan-banging molasses espresso cookies with chocolate

Thursday, September 26, 2019

pan banging molasses espresso cookies

This recipe originally appeared in Bake From Scratch Vol 3, along with several other cookies recipes I contributed, and now is in the new Bake From Scratch Cookie Collection. Since I just finished the pan-banging chapter for my next book (coming out Fall 2020!), I thought I would include it here to celebrate. These cookies have the crisp, ripply edges and gooey, chocolate center my original recipe is known for, along with a tiny hit of molasses and some ground espresso. If you make them, please let me know! You can tag me on Instagram, or tag #panbanging or #bangonapan (or, of course, leave a comment here if you aren’t on social media!).

pan banging molasses espresso cookies

The Cookie Collection

Pan-Banging Molasses Espresso Cookies with Chocolate
From Bake From Scratch Vol. 3. Makes 10 cookies

PRINT THIS RECIPE

1 3/4 cup [249g] all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon [6g] ground espresso
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons [170g] unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups [300g] granulated sugar
2 tablespoons [42g] mild molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces [113g] bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into bite-sized pieces

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350F [180C]. Line 3 baking sheets with aluminum foil, dull side up.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso, salt, and baking soda.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar, and beat until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. With the mixer on low, add the molasses, egg, and vanilla, beating to combine. Add the flour, and beat on low until combined. Using a spatula, make sure the molasses is completely combined into the dough and that the dough is uniform in color. Add the chocolate, and stir to combine. Shape the dough into 3 ounce [85g] balls. Place 4 balls an equal distance apart on on the prepared pans.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 8 minutes, until the cookies are puffed slightly in the center. Lift the side of the baking sheet up about 4 inches and gently let it drop down against the oven rack, so the edges of the cookies set and the inside falls back down. After the cookies puff up again in about 2 minutes, repeat lifting and dropping the pan. Repeat 3 or 4 more times to create ridges around the edge of the cookie. Bake 14 to 15 minutes total, until the cookies have spread out and the edges are golden brown but the centers are much lighter and not fully cooked.

Cassie
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:33 am

Can you use instant espresso powder? Thanks!

JulieD
      Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:28 am

I was going to ask this same question! Thank you!

Jennine Quiring
      Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 10:48 am

What a fun recipe. I usually bake in the middle of the night, but would have to bake in the afternoon because my 6 lb Pomeranian would not understand the banging at night. What dice do these cookies turn out to be. Also did not see an answer to the question about the lady asked about the difference between Gold Metal and King Arthur flour. I had not heard that before. I am partial to King Arthur. Products, especially since two months ago I won the King Arthur gluten free contest at the California State Fair

Diane
    Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 2:20 pm

I’ll definitely try these. Today, I just made the Granola Chocolate Pecan cookies from your cookbook and they are amazing! I’m going to be a hit with these. Oh, and the cookie dough is so darn good even before they’re baked! So delighted I have the cookbook.

Rita
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 10:47 am

What do I do with the recipe to leave out the chocolate?

Lori
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 7:03 pm

What type of AP flour do you use? King Arthur ( higher protein) or Gold Medal (lower protein)? I ask because I recently made one of my favorite cookie recipe with KA and the results were different than when I use GM. Thanks!

Floranet
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 4:49 am

This is one of the best blogs I have read on this topic.

Sharing crunchy
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 2:10 am

I love these cookies. Superb recipe.

Albert
    Monday, October 21, 2019 at 12:35 pm

These cookies are out of this world!! I’m not much of a baker, but gave this recipe a try after seeing it on GMA. Holy Sh**! The cookies were IMPRESSIVE and came out better than what I can buy at a high end bakery in LA. I’ve never baked something this legit, thank you!