This recipe originally appeared in Bake From Scratch Vol 3, along with several other cookies recipes I contributed, and now is in the new Bake From Scratch Cookie Collection. And there’s an entire chapter of Pan-banging cookies in my cookbook, 100 Cookies!
These cookies have the crisp, ripply edges and gooey, chocolate center my original recipe is known for, along with a tiny hit of molasses and some ground espresso. If you make them, please let me know!
You can tag me on Instagram, or tag #panbanging or #bangonapan (or, of course, leave a comment here if you aren’t on social media!).
- 1 3/4 cup [249g] all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (6g) ground espresso
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons [170g] unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups [300g] granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons [42g] mild molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces [113g] bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso, salt, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar, and beat until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. With the mixer on low, add the molasses, egg, and vanilla, beating to combine. Add the flour, and beat on low until combined. Using a spatula, make sure the molasses is completely combined into the dough and that the dough is uniform in color.
- Add the chocolate, and stir to combine. Shape the dough into 3 ounce [85g] balls. Place 4 balls an equal distance apart on on the prepared pans.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 8 minutes, until the cookies are puffed slightly in the center. Lift the side of the baking sheet up about 4 inches and gently let it drop down against the oven rack, so the edges of the cookies set and the inside falls back down.
- After the cookies puff up again in about 2 minutes, repeat lifting and dropping the pan. Repeat 3 or 4 more times to create ridges around the edge of the cookie. Bake 14 to 15 minutes total, until the cookies have spread out and the edges are golden brown but the centers are much lighter and not fully cooked.
Pan-Banging Molasses Espresso Cookies with Chocolate first printed in From Bake From Scratch Vol. 3.