‘I took my girl’s hand
In mine for two blocks,
Then released it to let
Her unwrap the chocolate.
I peeled my orange
That was so bright against
The gray of December
That, from some distance,
Someone might have thought
I was making a fire in my hands.’
-Gary Soto, ‘Oranges’
- 2 ounces (57g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups (907g) vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cup (78ml) blood orange juice
- 2-4 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- For the Chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate (in the microwave or on the stove top), stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture onto the prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to smooth it out slightly.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and let it set and chill, about 10 minutes.
- Once firm, chop the chocolate into small pieces. Work quickly - the chocolate will begin to melt as you chop it.
- For the Shake
- Put the ice cream, blood orange juice, triple sec, vanilla, and salt in a blender.
- Blend until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the chopped bittersweet chocolate and blend again until combined.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
I used 2 tablespoons of Triple Sec for a light boozy flavor, but feel free to add more if desired.