baking

blueberry, almond, and plum crumble

Monday, August 24, 2015

so sweet
and so cold
-William Carlos Willams
blueberry, almond, and plum crumble | the vanilla bean blog

blueberry, almond, and plum crumble | the vanilla bean blog

blueberry, almond, and plum crumble | the vanilla bean blog
I couldn’t resist posting that Williams poem to go along with a recipe involving plums. I’ll never forget reading it for the first time in my 9th grade English class, and becoming immediately enamored with playful poems that didn’t rhyme or seem to follow any rules. I went home and tried to mimic his style in pages of my journal, writing the worst poems known to man. But the attempts were sincere, and somewhere in my box of memories there is a stack of poems about peaches, plums, and dreamy boys who never noticed me.

Plums do make a good breakfast, however, and if you happen to have some of this crumble left over the next day, heating it up and topping it off with a little yogurt (or ice cream) is definitely a good idea. This summer crumble comes from Kate Doran‘s new book, Homemade Memories. Highlighting favorite childhood treats: ice creams, cookies, doughnuts, pudding pots, cakes, and every sugar-dusted possibility in between, it’s a collection of recipes perfect for any nostalgic baker. (Side note: I may have to give in and add this dish towel to my collection at some point.)
blueberry, almond, and plum crumble | the vanilla bean blog

Blueberry, Almond, and Plum Crumble
adapted from Homemade Memories by Kate Doran

for the fruit
3 cups | 350 g blueberries
4 cups | 457 plums (about 6), stoned and sliced into 3cm chunks
1 tablespoon brown sugar (you made need more if the fruit is very tart)
1 tablespoon cornflour
juice of 1 lemon

for the crumble
3/4 cup | 100g all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons | 90 g cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup | 85g rolled oats
1/3 cup | 65g brown sugar
1 cup | 80g sliced almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon demerara sugar (brown sugar will work, too)

Preheat the oven to 350F | 180C.

In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, plums, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice and toss gently until evenly coated. Transfer to a 9-inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour and butter. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until you have a sandy mixture with a few larger lumps. Use the end of a kitchen knife to stir in the oats, sugar, almonds, vanilla, spices, and salt to form a loose, crumbly dough.

Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit without packing it down, followed by the demerara sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Homemade Memories | Kate Doran

blueberry, almond, and plum crumble | the vanilla bean blog

Heather (Delicious Not Gorgeous)
    Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:44 pm

read that poem in an intro to poetry class this past year (my favorite ones were the ones that mentioned food). also tried to emulate williams’ tone, but that didn’t quite work (though i did get a burrito pov poem and a semi-deep musing about cake appearances out of it).

Thalia
    Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:55 pm

This looks divine. I’ve been meaning to make a crumble for a while now and definitely am inspired to try this recipe. Glad it’s finally turning into stone fruit season here in Australia.

ChefCuokka
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 5:48 am

It look’s like Amazing!!! I love Crumbles!!!
    Beautiful idea!!! 😉

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:16 am

Love the almonds in there. This crumble sounds so delicious!

Lynn | The Road to Honey
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 7:17 am

I have been on a cooked fruit frenzy as of late. This looks absolutely scrumptious and will definitely be making it onto my grocery shopping list this week.

Sadly, I am wishing I had a pan of it right about now as a big hefty scoop placed gingerly on top of my morning yogurt would hit the spot. There is always next week. . .

Eliza | Pen + Pan
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 8:46 am

Nothing’s quite like waking up to a William Carlos Williams poem and a crumble recipe. Love the post and the recipe!

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 9:22 am

Loved coming across this poem, we read it in my 6th grade English glass and I had completely forgot the proper poem but remember liking it a lot. We then all wrote our own freeform poems about food. I believe mine was a rhapsody to the Big Mac meal…..

genevieve @ gratitude & greens
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:05 am

I read that poem a few weeks ago for the first time and I just loved it. I think it was in an art museum, actually. I have a whole basket of plums in my fridge right now- I’ve been eating them smeared with almond butter, on their own, in smoothies… I can only imagine how delicious they would be in a crumble!

Kathryn
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Kate’s book is such a treat isn’t it? And I don’t there’s any better way to celebrate the end of summer than with a crumble. It just seems so right at this time of year.

Sarah // The Sugar Hit
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I love crumble – one of my most favourite desserts of all time. And I totally relate to your adolescent poetry attempts. At least we were sincere?

Abby
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Gorgeous photos, Sarah. And that poem! <3 xoxo

Laura
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 9:02 am

Gorgeous photos, and that crumble looks and sounds amazing.

Heidi Kokborg
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 10:31 am

Crumbles are the best! This looks so tasty and I can’t wait to make it for dessert 🙂

Currently Crushing On – aug 29 2015. | How Sweet It Is
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 5:51 am

[…] To finish off the summer, I want a blueberry plum almond crumble. […]

Megan | the bay leaf kitchen
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I love your tip to eat the leftover crumble for breakfast 😉 Will do!

and William Carlos Williams also makes me feel like one day, I could be a poet. Until I sit down and try to write something… 😛 Thanks for the lovely recipe!

Sasha | Eatmeblog
    Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 6:05 am

Love the photos and the recipe is trully great! Perfect use for the plums!
    Hope you have a lovely Sunday

Honey
    Monday, August 31, 2015 at 11:03 pm

oh my soul! your way of writing and your photos make your posts so much more special and amazing 🙂
    beautiful

Kasey
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 12:02 pm

This is one of my favorite poems! And perfectly paired with this crumble 🙂 xo

Ellen
    Friday, September 4, 2015 at 6:52 am

Made this the other night and am still eating it 2 days later. So delicious and works well with yogurt for breakfast and vanilla ice cream for dessert 🙂 thanks!

Amber Harding
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

Tasty looking crumble! Appetizing and crunchy joy!

Sam @ SugarSpunRun
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Like you, I was instantly enamored by that poem (though the first time I read it was just now, on your site). Lovely, and so perfect for this wonderful post and recipe.

Miko?aj Baczy?ski
    Friday, September 11, 2015 at 7:18 am

Great photos and recipes 🙂

Jessica Robinson
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Love good old-fashioned recipes like this one with a new spin on the fruits. Looks incredible! Thank you for sharing!

Julia
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 8:55 am

I am a huge crumble fan and this one looks delicious! You blog is fabulous.

zonderzooi
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:17 am

Oh this is great for cold winter days. Will try to make it soon!

101 Warming Winter Recipes - LuxPad