gluten free

raspberry + chocolate bundt cake with almond flour

Thursday, April 18, 2013

raspberry + chocolate bundt cake | the vanilla bean blog

I spent part of the afternoon in front of my bedroom window, staring at the snow. There’s a storm here, a full on white-wash. Down and down it came; powdery slashes in the sky that covered all spaces. I spent the morning cursing at it, but it’s beauty slowly won me over. It was all so wonderful, so silent and still. I found myself wishing it could cloak the earth; cover this week and all its horror and grief. Imagine a world where people belonged to each other! If this blanket of  pure white could put out all fires and wash away all hurt!  But the moment passed as quickly as it came. I have been through too many winters; I’ve seen the snow become dirty and gray in it’s time. And blankets may keep us covered, but they lull us to sleep, to dream and forget…

My daughter found me there, on the floor by my window. She laughed at me, her voice piercing the silence. “How silly,’ she said, ‘to stare at the snow.’ It was cold in that room,  too cold and quiet for her little heart. But before she left she crawled into my lap, wrapping her arms around my neck. Her smiling eyes met mine, they reassured me that we belong to one another.

(Now to get off that floor, head out that door, and be hands and feet in cities, on streets…)
raspberry + chocolate bundt cake | the vanilla bean blog

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” – Mother Teresa
*****
Hang my head low, so low | Don’t see me only as I am but | see me how I long to be | Shining like a flowering tree | under a gray Pennsylvania sky | Look for me as you go by | Hang my head low, so low | Every burden shall be lifted | Every stone upon your back slide into the sea | It’s me for you and you for me  {Look For Me As  You Go By – The Innocence Mission}

raspberry + chocolate bundt cake | the vanilla bean blog

Raspberry + Chocolate Bundt Cake with Almond Flour

This Bundt cake is really a version of these muffins, which are adapted from Roost. I used an 8 cup kugelhopf pan, although most bundt pans are 10 cups. If you do not have an 8 cup bundt pan, I think a 10 cup would work fine, but your cake just won’t be as tall. Some cacao nibs would (of course) be nice in here, too.

3 cups finely ground almond flour
1 cup rolled or quick oats (gluten-free, if needed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sour cream
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 ounces fresh raspberries
4 ounces chopped chocolate
powdered sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 375, and butter and flour an 8-cup Bundt pan (using a gluten-free flour, if needed. I used a brown rice flour).

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together the honey, oil, sour cream, vanilla, and  eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Add the the raspberries and chopped chocolate and stir gently to combine.

Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool before slicing. Dust with powered sugar.
raspberry + chocolate bundt cake | the vanilla bean blog

thelittleloaf
    Friday, April 19, 2013 at 1:32 am

Your bundt looks the absolute perfect texture and I’ve made your muffins before so I know the flavours would be beautiful.

Kathryn
    Friday, April 19, 2013 at 3:45 am

The image of the world covered by a blanket of white is so appealing right now amid the tumult. As is a moment of peace with this cake. Reading this is a beautiful way to start Friday.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough
    Friday, April 19, 2013 at 9:45 am

What a lovely, lovely post, Sarah. Such a beautiful way to reflect on everything that’s been happening this week. And that bundt, oh that bundt… I could use a slice or three of it in my life right about now.

Courtney West
    Friday, April 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

You always have such a way with words and imagery! This cakes looks amazing and I imagine when I make it, I’ll definitely add cacao nibs 🙂

Holly
    Friday, April 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

A lovely post, Sarah. Do you think I could sub the raspberries w/ cherries?!?

Sarah
      Friday, April 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Thanks Holly! I would think so! I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. Let me know if you try it!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm

This is such a beautiful looking cake, I just love your photos! It sounds so delicious too!

Homemade Harissa and Recipe Roundup - The Heavy Table - Minneapolis-St. Paul and Upper Midwest Food Magazine and Blog
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm

[…] ice cream; ginger sandwich cookies with lemon filling; grainy rye bread; hamantaschen; raspberry and chocolate Bundt cake with almond flour; kitchen sink sourdough; and roast chicken with Indian-spiced goat […]

Adele
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I’m thinking of trying this recipe, however i think ill use natural yogurt in place of the sour cream…

Julie
    Monday, February 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

Bundt pans are the bane of my existence. I have yet to master baking a bundt cake that doesn’t stick to the pan or break up into a million pieces (grrr!). Anyway, yesterday I decided to give this recipe a go because it looked so yummy. Of course my cake stuck to the pan (clearly, this is an issue I have to work out with the baking gods), but the overall recipe was good. I do; however, think it could use some adjustments. This was my experience:
    – I ended up with waaay too much batter for an 8 in. Kugelhopf pan. I think using a 10 in. pan would have been better.
    – Since I didn’t have raspberries, I tried the recipe with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. I ended up with a nice tangy/sweet assortment of flavors…
    – …However, I found that the 4 oz. of chocolate ended up overpowering my berries! I didn’t think there was such a thing as “too much chocolate”, but I would have definitely preferred something more balanced. Keep in mind though, I used 70% dark chocolate, which might have been too bitter… next time I’ll stick to something semi-sweet and only add about half what the recipe calls for.
    – Which brings me to the next point… before pouring the batter into the pan, I stuck my finger in it to try it and it was too salty! I don’t like cloyingly sweet desserts, so I made sure to add some brown sugar little by little until it was just right. In total, I added 1/3 cup.

With a few more tries and a few more tweaks here and there, I’m sure I’ll get this recipe just right. It’s definitely worth repeating (although I’m sure the next time I bake it, it will be in a Springform.)

Salvegging
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

How beautiful. Your work is art! I would like to make this… however do you have any recs on a bundt pan sub? Out of a muffin tin, a 9 inch cake a big loaf pan or little loaves…what do you think would work best?

Sarah
      Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much! I think that I would try a muffin tin, however, this recipe can sometimes collapse in the center, which is why I use the bundt pan (there is no center, which helps it rise). You might want to put less raspberries and chocolate in it, to help it be able to rise better. I hope that helps!

Florence
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 1:42 am

Hello! This is just what I’ve been looking for! A ground almond-based bundt cake. However, can I sub frozen raspberries for the fresh?

Sarah
      Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hi Florence – I think that frozen berries should be fine. They can give off more liquid than fresh berries, so you many want to add a tablespoon or two extra of flour to the batter so the cake isn’t too mushy, or maybe add less berries just to be safe. Let me know how it turns out!

Happy Weekend | Gardenias & Mint
    Friday, May 9, 2014 at 12:07 pm

[…] Image via The Vanilla Bean Blog […]

Ashley
    Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This recipe looks delicious! I’m dairy free, what could I sub in for sour cream? Coconut cream?

Toasted Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake for #bundtbakers - Eat Drink Be MightyEat Drink Be Mighty
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 1:05 am

[…] Adapted from the Vanilla Bean Blog […]

Raspberry+Chocolate+Almond Flour Bundt Cake – bundtcake.com
    Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 10:23 am

[…] cake is a place where alternative flours work well. I love almond-flour-based desserts, and this Raspberry Chocolate Almont Flour Bundtcake from the Vanilla Bean Blog promises to be a true treat, whether or not you shy away from […]

Effie J. Sorg
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5:32 am

This recipe came out perfect!! So delicious!! Thanks so much :):) I’ve been

wanting a damn good recipe for a very long time and this is wonderful! I

am so excited about it .Can’t wait to make it again!