It’s Monday, and it’s these muffins, again. But just a bit different. {I can’t help it, they are so terribly good, and this is my most favorite combination yet.} I whipped these up one day last week on the fly; a dear friend was stopping by, and she needed a treat without gluten. There was a blood orange in my fridge, and a bar of chocolate in my pantry. The cacao nibs made their way in as well {they hate to be left out of anything, as you might have gathered}, and one incredibly tasty muffin was born.
And perhaps it may have been breakfast all week long.
I didn’t plan for it to be a blog post, but I shared these pretties with a few people and a recipe was demanded. I’m also banking on your groggy, tired, Monday eyes to overlook pictures from my phone; they will just have to do. But! really! you want to make these as soon as possible. Your hungry Monday tummy will thank you.

Gluten-Free Blood Orange-Chocolate Muffins with Cacao Nibs

These muffins are adapted from Roost, and you can find the recipe here. I only made a few changes: I omitted the chamomile, I used canola oil instead of ghee, and I added 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla to the wet ingredients, and then added the zest of one orange, 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, and 2 tablespoons cacao nibs to the dry ingredients. I also sprinkled them with a little sugar in the raw before baking.
Also, a note: if you double the recipe, use 3 eggs instead of 4.

17 Responses to blood orange + chocolate muffins with cacao nibs {and almond flour}

1. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I love the photo of the blood orange!

2. These sound FANTASTIC. I’m always looking for a GF baking recipe that actually sounds tasty… this is definitely one. Yum!

3. Anouk says:

And where did the bar of chocolate end up? 😉

4. You wouldn’t believe these pictures are from a phone, they’re just as gorgeous as ever 🙂

5. Shira says:

These look so good! This may be the first GF muffin recipe I am inspired to try – the chocolate/orange combo sounds amazing. Found your blog via Instagram – gorgeous!

6. Laura says:

When you ‘gramed this, I was seriously hoping that you would share the recipe. Whoop! Blood orange + chocolate? You’re a genius. xo

7. Sacha says:

OK, that’s it. I just *must* make one of your variations of this muffin! Hopefully I will after having three reminders.

8. london bakes says:

Such a lovely combination of flavours & I love the double chocolate hit 😉

9. Anonymous says:

What if I don’t want them to be GF – same amount of flour?

10. Esther says:

Hi! These muffins look amazing, I was planning to make them, but the link to the recipe doesn’t work 🙁

11. The link for Roost is not really working. Can you print the entire recipe? I have a young girl dying to make these! Thanks

12. lisasporing says:

I would like to make these but the recipe is not clear. I am looking at the blood orange and pistachio muffin recipe which calls for 1 blood orange juiced. You say you use 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed oj. So , do I juice 1 blood orange plus 1/4cup of fresh squeezed oj ? You say you add the 1/4cup oj to the wet ingredients. Thanks for your help !

• Sarah says:

Hi Lisa – Sorry it is so confusing! It looks like it is supposed to be just 1/4 cup juice. The Blood Orange + Pistachio recipe is on someone else’s blog, but usually the juice of an orange is around 1/4 cup, so I’m guessing that what she meant. I hope that helps! -Sarah